How To Think About Diplomacy
- The long-standing international system is under pressure, and its future is uncertain and unknown.
- The State Department must still be able to handle the old system, while also being prepared for the new global arrangement.
- America needs an educated diplomatic corps and newly commissioned Foreign Service Officers that are devoid of internal and domestic politicking.
- Diplomatic responsibility and accountability should be returned to the US Department of State and away from the independent forces working out of the White House that have come to oversee specific issues and relationships.
- The Foreign Service Institute’s professional educational quality should be raised to ensure America’s diplomatic core is knowledgably prepared for an uncertain future.
- America needs to maintain its strong diplomatic presence to preserve and ensure stability and peace.