What Is the Future of America and China’s Strategic Competition?
Published November 9, 2022
American strategy should use negative objectives, such as avoiding investments in Chinese companies and guarding against China’s espionage. America should also prevent China from establishing client states that allow China to gain more influence and rewrite the rules in its own favor. Finally, H. R. McMaster believes America should pursue a humanitarian goal of reducing China’s ability to commit genocide.
- Are there any downsides to having a national strategy? If no, why has there been confusion on strategy in the past?
- What do you believe is America’s best course of action for dealing with China?
- Watch “Lithuania: On the Frontline of European Security,” with H. R. McMaster. Available here.
- Watch “Unsolicited Advice for the Next Congress,” with John Cochrane, Niall Ferguson, H. R. McMaster, and Bill Whalen. Available here.
- Watch “Embracing Strategic Empathy,” with H. R. McMaster on PolicyEd. Available here.