Macke Raymond on "Summer Slide" and the Learning Losses from Covid-19
Office Hours: Macke Raymond on "Summer Slide" and the Learning Losses from Covid-19
Published March 23, 2021
Hoover Institution distinguished research fellow Macke Raymond answers the most frequently asked questions from her video "An Endless Summer: How COVID Has Reversed Academic Achievement."
- (0:38) How do you measure learning loss?
- (2:44) Do you have a best guess as to how much learning loss will have occurred by next fall for the average student? What will the distribution of learning loss look like?
- (4:36) What would new approaches to classroom-based instruction look like? Who is preventing new approaches from being adopted?
- (7:02) Estimates of learning loss come from standardized tests, but many people are skeptical of their ability to accurately measure learning gains. Are there other kinds of assessments that are helpful?
- (10:33) How long do you think it will take to get education and academic achievement back on track once schools safely re-open?
- (12:14) The news is full of stories of districts that are facing challenges getting schools up and running. What are the options for families in those situations?