Overcoming Our Crisis of Confidence in Democracy
Published: August 24, 2021
From political upheaval and disinformation to rising inequality, an array of challenges threatens confidence in our democracy. Yet today’s crises are not new, as they frequently come about when the government fails to deliver what ordinary citizens value most: social order, economic prosperity, and international peace. To restore trust, party leaders on all sides must act decisively to meet the problems of the day.
- What causes people to doubt democratic institutions?
- What can leaders do to prevent pessimism about democracy?
- Read “The Democratic Distemper,” by Morris P. Fiorina. Available here.
- Read “Unstable Majorities: Polarization, Party Sorting, and Political Stalemate” by Morris Fiorina, available here.
- Watch “Unstable Majorities with Morris P. Fiorina” here.
- Read "Has The American Public Polarized?" by Morris P. Fiorina, available here.