Regional Rivalries with China and Russia
Published February 10, 2022
Condoleezza Rice explains the origins and functions of the international system. Since the September 11 terrorist attacks, the international system has faced significant challenges. From globalization’s decreasing popularity to shifting security frameworks, these challenges have The United States is facing an adversary that does not share our values or abide by international norms. China has quickly risen as an international power despite its resistance to complying with the standards of the international system. Countries that find themselves looking to China’s authoritarianism as a standard for governance should remember that authoritarian efficiency is not equivalent to stable long-term policy.
Interested in attending the Hoover Institution Summer Policy Boot Camp? Click here for more information.
- Why is it important for the United States to have allies in maintaining the liberal international order?
- How has American national security changed since the attacks on September 11, 2001?
- Watch “Global Hot Spots with Condoleezza Rice” on PolicyEd. Available here.
- Watch “Condoleezza Rice on What Unifies Us as Americans” on PolicyEd. Available here.
- Watch “One Hundred years of Democracy and Foreign Policy,” with Condoleezza Rice, Stephen Krasner, and Niall Ferguson, on PolicyEd. Available here.