Chapter Three: Patent Trolls and Patent Policies
Published: November 30th, 2020
Contrary to popular opinion, “patent trolls” may benefit inventors and the economy by playing a useful intermediary role between individual inventors and large manufacturers. More robust markets for patents are developed as a result. Without patent trolls, inventors might have fewer opportunities to market their ideas.
Interested in attending the Hoover Institution Summer Policy Boot Camp? Click here for more information.
- What kind of inventions can be protected under the patent system?
- How does intellectual property affect the economy?
- Read “Patents and the Wealth of Nations,” by Stephen Haber. Available here..
- Read “The Myth of the Wicked Patent Troll,” by Stephen Haber and Ross Levine. Available here.
- Read “Patent Trolls as Financial Intermediaries? Experimental Evidence,” by Stephen Haber and Seth H. Werfel. Available here.
- Read “Property Rights: A Practical Guide to Freedom and Prosperity,” by Terry Anderson and Laura E. Huggins. Available here.