What Drives High Health Care Costs
Published: March 6, 2019
The fundamental reason for high health care expenses is third-party payments. Most payments to physicians are made not by the patient but by a third-party — an insurance company or governmental body. By eliminating most third-party payments and restoring the role of insurance to protecting against major medical catastrophes, health care cost and spending can be reduced.
Audio excerpted from Uncommon Knowledge with Peter Robinson.
- Should the government play a role in providing Americans with health care?
- What role should the marketplace play?
- Read “How To Cure Health Care” by Milton Friedman, available here.
- In this 2005 interview, Milton Friedman discussed the ailing U.S. health-care system and proposed some remedies. Available here.
- Health insurance helps many Americans purchase health care. So why is it so expensive, and how can we make it more affordable? Click here to find out.